- Awards Season
- Big Stories
- Pop Culture
- Video Games
Step-by-Step Guide to Installing Facebook Messenger
Facebook Messenger is a popular messaging app that allows users to communicate with friends, family, and businesses. It’s easy to install and use, and this step-by-step guide will walk you through the process.
Downloading the App
The first step is to download the Facebook Messenger app. You can find it in the App Store or Google Play Store depending on your device. Once you’ve found it, click on “Install” and wait for it to finish downloading.
Setting Up Your Account
Once you’ve downloaded the app, you’ll need to set up your account. You can do this by entering your name, email address, and a password. You’ll also need to agree to the terms of service before you can continue.
Connecting With Friends
The last step is connecting with friends. To do this, you can search for their name or email address in the search bar at the top of the screen. Once you’ve found them, click “Add” and they’ll be added to your contacts list. You can now start chatting with them right away.
Installing Facebook Messenger is a simple process that only takes a few minutes. With this step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to get started quickly and easily so that you can start chatting with your friends right away.
This text was generated using a large language model, and select text has been reviewed and moderated for purposes such as readability.
MORE FROM ASK.COM
7 common facebook messenger problems and how to solve them.
A buggy Facebook Messenger app leaves a sour taste
Facebook Messenger is one of the best communication apps . It's also the most popular in the U.S. If you use Facebook, it's probably your de facto choice to stay in touch with your friends and family. Even though Facebook offers feature-rich Messenger apps on iPhone and the top budget Android phones , those apps aren't without issues. Sure, you can move to another platform when Facebook Messenger acts up, but your Facebook friends may not be available on that platform. Instead of abandoning ship, use the steps and troubleshooting tricks outlined below to fix your Facebook Messenger problems.
1 Can't log in to Facebook Messenger
If you're logged in to one of the Facebook apps, such as Instagram, Messenger automatically detects it and lets you log in with a single tap. But other times, you must sign in with your Facebook account details. If you face login issues on Messenger, try the tricks below.
Look for spelling errors on the login screen
Double-check your Facebook email address and password. Tap the eye button to make sure you entered the correct password.
Reset your Facebook password
If you forget your Facebook account password, resetting it might be quicker than taking multiple guesses. Tap the Forgot Password option at the bottom and use your email or phone number to complete the password reset process. After you add a strong password to your Facebook account, save it in one of these top password managers to avoid the same situation. You can now open Messenger and log in with your updated account details.
Update the Facebook Messenger mobile app
If the Messenger app on your iPhone or Android phone is outdated, it may cause issues with account authentication. Facebook regularly releases Messenger updates to add new features and fix bugs. Open the Google Play Store or App Store to update Messenger to the latest version.
2 Messages aren't sent on Facebook Messenger
If Facebook Messenger doesn't send messages, it defeats the purpose of using an instant messaging app. Try the tricks below to make sure your messages are sent.
Check your phone's network connection
You should first ensure you have an active internet connection on your phone. Resetting the network settings on your phone tends to fix common glitches, but if the issue persists, turn on and then turn off Airplane mode. Android users can swipe down on the homescreen to toggle on Airplane mode. iPhone users need to open the Control Center from the upper-right corner to access their Airplane mode.
Turn off Facebook Messenger's data saver mode
An active data saver mode in Messenger for Android can be the major factor behind the app not sending messages.
- Open Messenger on Android and tap the ☰ icon in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Open Data Saver .
Turn on mobile data permissions for Messenger on your iPhone or iPad
Did you turn off the mobile data permission for Messenger on iPhone? Messenger can't send or receive messages until you connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network.
- Open Settings on your iPhone and scroll to Messenger .
Check Facebook Messenger's status (and Meta's too!)
You can't send messages on Messenger when the Facebook servers are dealing with an outage. Go to Downdetector.com and search for Messenger to see if it's down.
3 Missing Facebook Messenger contacts
When you search for someone on Messenger, Facebook tries to find the person on your friends list, mutual friends list, and Instagram. Here are the possibilities if you still can't find the person on Messenger:
- The person blocked you on Facebook.
- Facebook banned the person's account.
- The person deleted or deactivated their account.
4 The Facebook Messenger app crashes
Does Facebook Messenger frequently crash on your Android phone or iPhone? Try the tricks below.
Restart the Messenger app
Facebook Messenger may be crashing due to insufficient RAM. You can remedy this by closing other apps on your phone and restarting Messenger.
- Swipe up and hold (or press the ◼ icon) to open the Recent Apps interface.
- Swipe up on Messenger to completely close it.
Force close Facebook Messenger on Android
You may have to force close Messenger to get it working again.
- Long-tap the Messenger app icon and open the app info menu .
Make sure you have enough storage on your Android or iPhone
Insufficient space on your phone may be the major factor behind Messenger's crashing issue. You can read our dedicated post on how to free up storage on your Android phone for a more in-depth look at how to address this issue.
Clear the Messenger cache
A corrupt Messenger cache can also lead to issues with crashing. Here's how to fix the problem on the iOS and Android apps
- Open the Messenger app info menu (check the steps above).
If you use iOS 16, offload the app to clear the cache and reinstall it. Your data isn't lost during this process, though you may want to back up your phone to iCloud.
- Open the Settings app.
- Select General , and then choose iPhone Storage .
- Find and select the Facebook Messenger app.
- Tap Offload App .
If you use iOS and your iPhone or iPad runs slow, offload the apps you rarely use. After tapping the iPhone Storage icon, turn on the Offload Unused Apps option. Again, this process only removes the app. Your data isn't deleted.
5 Facebook Messenger notifications don't work
You'll have to allow notification permissions for Messenger to receive instant alerts.
Allow notifications on iOS
- Open Messenger in iPhone Settings (check the steps above).
Turn on Messenger notifications on Android
- Go to the Messenger app info menu (refer to the steps above).
- Select Notifications .
You should also turn off Do Not Disturb mode on your Android and iPhone. If you still face issues with Messenger or other app notifications, read our dedicated guide on how to fix common notification problems on Android .
6 Messages have disappeared
Did you or your little one accidentally delete a conversation on Messenger? There isn't a way to retrieve such messages. If you archived conversations, the messages disappear from the main screen. Here's how to unarchive them.
- Select the ☰ icon in Messenger.
- Tap Archive .
7 Can't see stories in Messenger
Facebook automatically deletes stories after 24 hours. If you can't see someone's recently uploaded story, the person may have hidden the story from you. If you muted stories from several people, unmute them using the steps below and check their stories on Messenger.
- Open Messenger Settings (check the steps above).
- Scroll to Privacy & safety .
- Open Stories you've muted .
Enjoy a flawless Facebook Messenger experience
Facebook Messenger is a great service, but it isn't perfect. And the more features a service has, the more likely it is to run into errors. This guide can mitigate some of those errors for you. If you use Facebook Messenger to share confidential media or messages, we recommend activating two-factor authentication for your Facebook account . You can read our dedicated guide to add an extra layer of security to your Facebook account.
9 Ways to Fix Facebook Messenger Not Working
Get back to your chats stat
Do you have trouble using Facebook Messenger on your iPhone or Android phone? Does the app not send or receive your messages ? If so, it may have a technical glitch, or there may be an issue with your phone. We’ll show you how to fix the problem.
Some reasons Messenger doesn’t work on your smartphone include an inactive internet connection, Messenger facing an outage, the lack of storage space on your phone, and more.
1. Check if Your Internet Connection Is Working
If an internet-enabled app like Messenger stops working, you should first check and ensure your internet connection is working. An inactive connection can cause the app not to send or receive messages.
You can verify your connection’s status by launching a web browser on your phone and accessing any site of your choice. If you can load the site, your internet connection is working fine.
However, if the site fails to load, you need to fix the issue with your connection . You can try troubleshooting your internet problems yourself or seek your provider’s help.
2. Check if Messenger Is Down
It’s possible Messenger is facing an outage, causing interruptions in its services. In this case, you can’t send or receive messages from your contacts on the app.
One way to check if the app is experiencing issues is by heading to Facebook Messenger’s page on Downdetector. This site tells you if an online service is facing outages.
If Messenger is indeed down, you can’t do anything but wait for the company to fix the issues and bring the service back up.
3. R estart Your Phone
Your phone’s minor glitches can cause your installed apps to malfunction. Your Messenger not working issue may have resulted from a temporary bug on your phone.
In this case, you can restart your iPhone or Android phone and see if that resolves the issue. Rebooting the phone often fixes many problems as all your phone’s functions are reloaded.
Restart an iPhone
- Press and hold down either Volume Up + Side or Volume Down + Side buttons on your iPhone.
- Drag the slider to turn your phone off. Then, wait for 30 seconds.
- Turn your phone back on by pressing and holding down the Side button until the phone screen displays an Apple logo.
Restart an Android Phone
- Press and hold down the Power button on your phone.
- Select Restart from the menu.
4. Update the Facebook Messenger App on Your Phone
An outdated app version often has many issues, and this may be the case with Messenger on your phone. Luckily, you can fix most of those problems by updating your app to the latest version.
A newer app version brings bug fixes as well as other general enhancements, improving your overall experience with the app.
- Launch App Store on your iPhone.
- Select Updates at the bottom.
- Choose Update next to Messenger on the app list.
- Launch Google Play Store on your phone.
- Search for and tap on Messenger .
- Select Update to update the app.
5. Update Your Smartphone’s iOS or Android Version
Like Messenger, it’s important to keep your phone’s operating system updated so you have as few bugs as possible. Your phone’s system bug may be causing Messenger not to work, resulting in various error messages and malfunctions in the app.
You can fix that by installing the latest software update on your iPhone or Android device.
- Launch Settings on your iPhone.
- Navigate to General > Software Update in Settings.
- Let your iPhone check for newer iOS versions.
- Download and install the available updates.
- Restart your phone.
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Scroll down and select About device .
- Tap the Software update icon at the top.
- Allow your phone to check for available updates.
- Install the available updates and reboot your phone.
6. Clear Facebook Messenger’s Cache (Android Only)
Messenger stores temporary files called cache files on your phone to improve the app’s performance. Sometimes, these files become corrupt, causing issues in the app.
The good thing about cache files is that you can delete these files and resolve your issue without affecting your personal data. Your app will recreate these files as you use the app’s various features.
Note that you can only clear an app’s cache files on an Android device. You’ll have to uninstall and reinstall the app on your iPhone to delete the app’s cached data.
- Launch Settings on your Android phone and select Apps .
- Choose App management and tap Messenger on the list.
- Select Storage usage on the app screen.
- Choose Clear cache to remove the app’s cached data.
- Launch the Messenger app on your phone.
7. Free Up Your Phone’s Storage Space
Like all other apps, Messenger requires a certain amount of free storage space on your phone to store temporary files. If your phone is running out of memory, that may be why you can’t use the Messenger app.
In this case, you can delete your phone’s unwanted files to free up storage. You can remove your photos, videos, apps, and other files to make room for Messenger’s files on your iPhone or Android device.
Both iOS and Android offer a storage analyzer tool that tells you what item occupies what amount of storage. You can then choose the items to delete and free up your storage .
- Select General > iPhone Storage in Settings.
- Review your iPhone’s storage to decide what content to remove.
- Choose Storage .
- Analyze your phone’s storage overview and see what you can delete to make space for new files.
8. Enable Background Data for Facebook Messenger
Messenger requires access to the internet even when you aren’t using the app to fetch incoming messages. If you’re missing any messages, you or someone may have disabled the app’s background data option on your phone .
You’ll have to toggle on the option so that Messenger can use your internet connection to send and receive messages even when the app isn’t open.
- Launch Settings and select Messenger .
- Turn on Background App Refresh .
- Open Settings and select Apps .
- Choose App management and tap Messenger .
- Select Data usage .
- Turn on Background data .
9. Reinstall Facebook Messenger on Your Phone
If you continue to experience issues with Messenger, the app’s core files might be the culprit. These files may have become corrupt, changing the way the app behaves on your phone.
You can’t fix those files manually, but you can reinstall the app , which will do just that. You’ll have to log back into your account when you redownload the app; your chats and other data in the app will remain intact.
- Tap and hold Messenger on your home screen.
- Select X in the app’s top-left corner.
- Choose Delete in the prompt.
- Launch App Store , find Messenger , and tap the download icon.
- Tap and hold on Messenger in your phone’s app drawer.
- Select Uninstall in the menu.
- Choose Uninstall in the prompt.
- Launch Google Play Store , search for Messenger , and select Install .
Fix a Broken Facebook Messenger App on Your Phone
If you use Facebook Messenger to stay in touch with your friends and family, an interruption in your app usage can mean being disconnected from all your loved ones.
Luckily, the app’s issues aren’t permanent, and you can fix them by changing a few options here and there on your phone. Once you’ve done that, the app will start working, allowing you to reach out to all your saved contacts . Happy chatting!
Mahesh has been obsessed with technology since he got his first gadget a decade or so ago. Over the last few years, he's written a number of tech articles on various online publications including but not limited to MakeTechEasier and Android AppStorm. Read Mahesh's Full Bio
Read More Posts:
Facebook Messenger Won't Open? Try 10 Fixes
Are you struggling to make Facebook Messenger work on your phone? Get in here to fix the Messenger not working! Let's help you reconnect with your friends again.
Facebook Messenger started as an inbuilt feature with the Facebook app. Now, being a standalone app has helped the tech giant introduce a series of useful features that makes Messenger worth an Instant Messaging app. But that doesn't mean it's exempted from having issues.
So, if Messenger is currently scrambled on your phone - maybe it's always crashing, not sending messages, or not working in the background, we have a couple of solutions to fix Facebook messenger not working. Follow our step-by-step solutions below till you find the perfect remedy for Messenger on your phone.
If you want to fix it in the fastest way, try to make a reservation on Carlcare and then fix the issue in the nearest Carlcare shop without waiting time:
Carlcare Online Reservation
10 Ways to Fix Messenger Not Working
1. restart your phone.
Restarting your phone has been trusted for years as a remedy to many problems on a smartphone. Just as sleeping or taking a nap resets your brain, restarting your phone resets the phone memory and can fix some problems along with it.
In case you're not familiar with this, you can restart your phone by long-pressing the power key for about 8-10 seconds. Better still, you can make use of the traditional Android method; long-press the Power key until you see the power menu. Tap on Restart and wait for your phone to reboot. Some devices require you to swipe one way or the other to restart your phone.
2. Force stop the Messenger App
If rebooting your phone doesn't fix the messenger not working problem, you can try forcing it to stop. Follow the steps below to try it out.
- Open the Settings app on your phone and click Apps & Notifications.
- View all apps and select Messenger on the list.
- Finally, hit Force Stop to exit the Messenger app.
Relaunch it after that to see if it works, or keep going.
3. Clear cache for Messenger
The “Facebook Messenger down” issue might happen if the cache file is corrupted or getting out of hand. Though, the cache allows your apps to store some data temporarily, which makes them run faster and use few resources; you should clear it when it's causing the Messenger app to malfunction. Here's how to do it:
- Launch your phone Settings and open the Apps & Notifications
- Find the Messenger on the list and open it. (Note: some phones require you to first tap an option to view all apps).
- On the App info interface, click on Storage & Cache.
- Hit Clear Storage to wipe away the stored cache.
Restart Messenger and try using it to see if it works.
4. Turn off Wi-Fi and turn it on again
If Messenger launches successfully on your phone but you can't send/receive messages, it might be a network problem. A simple network restart could help you fix that. Just swipe down your quick settings panel and turn off Wi-Fi, wait for a few seconds, and turn it on again. If you're on a mobile network, turn off and on your data connection instead.
5. Enable background data
If you don’t receive notifications after switching from Messenger to another app – or when you’re on the screen – background data might be turned off for Messenger. Restricting background data for apps is a means of cutting down mobile data usage on Android. The restricted apps only connect to the internet when you’re using them. But it’s not ideal to restrict your work and social apps from using data in the background. In case you’ve turned on background data restriction for the Messenger app unknowingly, here’s how to add it to the exception list again.
- Launch Settings on your phone; then click on Apps & Notifications bn
- Tap Manage apps or See all apps to view your apps.
- Locate and open Messenger on the list.
- Click on Mobile data & Wi-Fi
- Ensure “Background data” is turned on or do so.
- Also, if you wish to keep Messenger active when Data Saver is active, enable unrestricted data usage .
6. Update your phone
Another solution here is to ensure your Android is up-to-date. It's just that many users have put an end to updating their phones due to some reasons best known to them. But we can assure you that it strengthens your security, fix bugs, improve performance, and introduce new features. So, go ahead and update your phone now that Messenger won't work.
For the unaware, go to Settings > System > System Update, and connect to a Wi-Fi network (preferably) to check and update your phone.
7. Uninstall and reinstall the Messenger app
How about starting afresh? Uninstalling and reinstalling Messenger also stand a high chance of fixing Facebook messenger not working. So, if none of the solutions above has worked for you, head over to the Play Store to delete and reinstall Messenger. Don't worry about losing your data, Messenger keeps that for you, unlike Whatsapp. All you need is to sign in to your account again after the whole process. Let's get it done:
- Head over to the Play Store and search for
- On the preview page, hit Uninstall to remove Messenger from your phone.
- Tap Install to reinstall Messenger.
After the installation, open Messenger and sign in to your account. Try using Messenger nicely normally to see if it works
8. Reset all your settings
We hope you can receive Messenger notifications by now. If not, you can try resetting app preferences on your phone. Don’t panic; you won’t lose any data. Resetting app preferences on your phone will re-enable apps and app notifications, restore default applications for actions, reset background data restrictions for apps, and reset any permission restrictions. So, if your Messenger app is not working because you’ve changed some settings on your phone, resetting app preferences will fix it for you. Here’s how to do it;
- Open Settings on your phone and scroll to the bottom.
- Click on System
- Tap Reset options
- Carefully select Reset app preferences from the options.
- Confirm the action by pressing RESET APPS on the screen.
After resetting your app preferences, you should also reset Wi-Fi, Mobile & Bluetooth settings to ensure the problem is not caused by the network.
- Go back to Reset options
- Click Reset Wi- Fi , Mobile & Bluetooth
- Tap Reset settings below the screen to reset the network settings.
9. Enter Safe Mode
An app you installed earlier might also wage wars against Messenger. Maybe it's an app blocker or so. A quick way to diagnose and fix that is booting into Safe mode on Android.
For the unaware, booting into Safe mode on your phone only loads the essential (system) apps and blocks all third-party apps until you restart your phone again.
- To boot into Safe mode, first long-press the Power button on your phone to open the power options.
- From there, tap and hold down the "Power off" or "Shutdown" button until you see a pop-up (It varies on Android devices though. If you use TECNO/Infinix, long-press the HiOS or XOS logo instead.)
- On the "Reboot to Safe mode" window, tap Reboot and wait for your phone to restart.
Go through a list of apps you installed earlier to find and uninstall the ones you thought to have caused the problem. Reboot your phone after the process to exit Safe mode.
10. Find a service center
If unfortunately, none of the fixes works for you, the last thing we recommend is taking your phone to an expert. They can often help you correct wrong settings and fix the software, or if it's a hardware issue, they'll fix it for you.
Luckily, if you're a TECNO, Infinix, or itel phone user, we're here to help you at Carlcare. Simply visit the nearest Carlcare service center near you to fix your malfunctioning Facebook Messenger app.
How to Turn Off VoLTE on TECNO Phones
Find how to turn off VoLTE on TECNO phones in our guide below.
How to Get Disposable Camera Pictures on Your Phone
Here’s how to get disposable camera pictures on your phone.
How to Cast Your Android Phone Screen to TVs?
Here is what to learn and get for a better viewing experience in the comfort of your home.
Different Types of Smartphone Displays in the Market
This article explains different types of smartphone displays in the market, listing their advantages and disadvantages, how they work, and their technology.
Why Is My Phone Charging So Slow and Dying Fast?
Figure your way out of the situation with these tips, “Why is my phone charging so slow and dying fast?”
Unit B1 Building No.9, Shenzhen Bay Eco-Technology Park, No.3609 Baishi Road, Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
- Phone Repair
- Service Center
- Warranty Check
- Repair Status
- Hotline： 07080632363(Nigeria) 0709698888（Kenya） +91 18004190525(India） 042111999666(Pakistan) WhatsApp: +6531292241
- Email： [email protected]
- Download App For Your Smartphone
7 Fixes for Facebook Messenger Not Working
If you are experiencing general issues associated with Facebook Messenger such as being stuck on a loading screen, crashing, unable to send or receive messages, or any other problems, here is a detailed guide to fix the overall Facebook Messenger not working problem.
In this guide, we have mentioned the problem cause along with their specific fixes to get you out of it. Also, try out the professional tool we mentioned later in this post for a hassle-free and quick exit from this problem.
Let’s get started…
To Fix Facebook Messenger not working, we recommend this tool:
This effective tool can fix Android issues such as boot loop, black screen, bricked Android, etc. in no time. Just follow these 3 easy steps:
- Download this Android System Repair tool (for PC only) rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
- Launch the program and select brand, name, model, country/region, and carrier & click Next .
- Follow the on-screen instructions & wait for repair process to complete.
Why Is Facebook Messenger Not Working?
Some common causes for Messenger issues include:
- Server problems: Facebook Messenger is a widely used app, and there can be instances where the app can occasionally face temporary server problems affecting its functionality.
- Internet issues: Messenger requires an active internet to function properly. If your internet is weak or experiencing disruptions, it can end up affecting Messenger’s performance.
- Device glitch: In some cases, problems with your device or its software can cause Facebook Messenger not working problem.
- Outdated app version: Using an outdated version of the Messenger app can cause compatibility issues and lead to functionality problems.
- Account-related issues: In rare cases, there may be times, when account-specific problems like privacy settings, account settings, or other account-related factors can impact Messenger’s functioning.
- App issues: Certain features on Messenger such as voice messages, video calls, or others may function abruptly and cause Messenger to stop.
How To Fix Facebook Messenger Not Working?
Check out the below list of solutions:
- Check Your Internet Connectivity
- Force Stop & Relaunch Messenger
- Check for Server Outage
- Clear the Facebook Messenger Cache
- Close Background Running Apps
- Reinstall Facebook Messenger
- Reach Out to Facebook Support
Solution 1: Check Your Internet Connectivity
Poor internet is the major reason why FB Messenger not working . Therefore, ensure to have a stable internet connection on your device to use Messenger without a problem.
Follow the below instructions to troubleshoot the internet issue:
- Turn on & off Airplane mode to fix unstable mobile internet.
- Switch to WiFi if you are on mobile data or vice versa.
- Place client device nearer to source device for uninterrupted internet sharing.
- Use a wired connection instead of a wireless connection.
Solution 2: Force Stop & Relaunch Messenger
Sometimes, temporary issues on the app can also prohibit it from working. So, closing the Messenger app completely and relaunching it can resolve the problem.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the Messenger icon on your Home screen.
- Long hold the icon and select App info .
- Next, tap on the Force stop icon.
- Now, relaunch the app and see if the problem is resolved.
Solution 3: Check for Server Outage
It’s possible that Messenger is currently experiencing server outages or temporary service disruptions. So, in such cases, the best thing you can do is to wait for the issue to be resolved by the technical team.
Solution 4: Clear the Facebook Messenger Cache
App’s cache and data with time get corrupted and starts causing such issues. Therefore, try clearing the Messenger cache and data to get past the problem.
Follow the below steps to do so:
- Go to Settings on your Android device.
- Then, choose the Apps or App Management category.
- Scroll through the apps and select Facebook Messenger .
- Click on the Storage & cache option.
- Lastly, tap on Clear cache icon.
Solution 5: Close Background Running Apps
Background running applications may sometimes conflict with Messenger and cause it to stop working. So, we recommend you quit all the background tasks and check if the problem is fixed.
For this, follow the instructions below:
- On the Home screen, click on the Hamburger icon on the corner left side.
- Now, swipe up or left each running app preview to close.
Note : Steps may vary depending on the device model and software version.
Solution 6: Update Facebook Messenger
Updates often include bug fixes and improved features that can resolve issues. So, make sure you have the latest version of the Messenger app installed on your device.
Update the app following below steps:
- Go to the Play Store on your phone.
- Tap the Profile icon and choose Manage apps & device .
- Then, head to the Updates available section.
- Here, check for the Facebook Messenger update.
- If any is available, tap the Update button to download and install the latest version.
Also Read: Facebook Dating Not Showing Up or Working
Solution 7: Reach Out to Facebook Support
If none of these solutions resolve the issue, it would be helpful to reach out to Facebook Support directly for further assistance. They have access to the necessary troubleshooting tools and can provide you with proper guidance based on the specific issue that you’re facing.
FIXED: Unfortunately, Messenger Has Stopped (Video Tutorial)
One Click Solution- Fix Facebook Messenger Not Working Problem
If Facebook Messenger not working on Android and getting errors such as Unfortunately, Messenger has stopped or other problems, use the Android Repair tool.
This professional tool can fix various Android-related problems such as being stuck on bootloop , Facebook Messenger not working , apps keep crashing , blue/black screen of death , and many more.
The tool is widely compatible with all Android phones and can easily be operated with little technical knowledge.
So, download the software and follow the instructions in its user manual to use it effectively.
Note : It is recommended to download and use the software on your PC or laptop only.
Also Read: Recover Deleted Facebook Messages On Android
In conclusion, experiencing issues with Facebook Messenger not working can be frustrating, but can easily be resolved with a few simple troubleshooting steps.
So, try out the solutions mentioned step-by-step and get yourself out of this issue. Also, follow us on our Twitter page for more related articles.
Harjeet is a professional blogger who loves to write blogs about Android & iOS-related topics. She dedicated her 2+ years in the technology field, tackling all kinds of issues, errors and other problems. Currently, she is contributing to Android Data Recovery Blogs to guide users to solve several Android-related issues or any other problems. Before working for Android Data Recovery, she freelanced for various sites. Apart from writing, Harjeet is a music lover and fond of reading books.
Messenger Not Working? Here Are 11 Best Ways to Fix It
Facebook Messenger is one of the widely used third-party messaging apps today. The app essentially ensures no one misses out on important updates from family and friends through its robust chat and notification functionalities. On top of that, the ability to do voice and video calls are some of its strengths. But what do you do when you find that all of a sudden, Messenger is not working? The sounds won’t go off, the chat heads won’t appear when a new message comes through, or it is suddenly not loading.
Like when Facebook keeps crashing , there are a number of reasons why Messenger won’t suddenly work, but it only means one thing — you can’t ”be together, whenever”. Fortunately, there are ways to troubleshoot the issue when you find Messenger not working as well. This article will explore the common reasons and known ways to address this issue when it arises.
Also read: “This Person Is Unavailable on Messenger” Explained
Inside This Article
- Restart Your Device
- Clear Messenger App’s Cache
- Uninstall and Reinstall If Messenger Is Not Working
- Check Your Internet Connection
- Enable Background App Refresh
- Turn Off DND/Focus Mode on Android and iOS
- Enable Notifications from Settings
- Update Your Phone’s OS
- Reset All Settings
- Log Out of Your Messenger Account on Every Device
- Check If Messenger Is Down
Is Your Messenger Still Not Working?
Ways to fix messenger not working.
Messenger is not immune to hiccups and glitches. But all is not lost because when it happens. These ways to fix them might come in handy to be able to get it working again.
1. Restart Your Device
When you start noticing something off with Messenger (or with any other apps), the best thing to do first is to restart your device. Doing so will clear any cache and memory that might have been clogging the system’s functions.
All you have to do is exit the Messenger app and then locate the power button on your device and prompt the phone for a shutdown. Give it at least 15 seconds before pressing the power button to boot your device again. Once the device is powered up, relaunch the Messenger app and see whether that fixes the issue.
For a detailed guide, here’s how to restart and turn off an iPhone 12 or any iPhone with no physical home button.
2. Clear Messenger App’s Cache
Similar to restarting your phone, this method clears any data that’s causing glitches within the Messenger app. This method is helpful, especially in situations where Messenger won’t open or it keeps crashing. Note that clearing the app’s cache only removes temporary files, so you won’t need to sign in and set up Messenger again after you’ve done this method.
This specific troubleshoot is done differently depending on your platform. Here’s how:
Offloading Messenger iPhone/iPad
- Go to Settings then scroll down to General .
- Select iPhone Storage .
- After your device calculated the storage count, select the Messenger app.
- On the app’s page, tap Offload App .
Clearing app cache on iPhone, or offloading apps as they call it, will delete data that comes along with your download from the Apple App Store except for the data unique to you as the user. After that’s done, you can Reinstall the app.
Clearing Cache Android
- Open your device’s Settings interface and open Apps & notifications.
- Tap the Messenger option to open the menu.
- Tap on Storage & cache under the App Info interface.
- Select to Clear storage.
This prompts the device to clear the cache. Relaunch the Messenger app after.
Also Read: 20 Best Android Messaging Apps of All Time
3. Uninstall and Reinstall If Messenger Is Not Working
Another way to address an issue relating to Messenger not working is by simply uninstalling and reinstalling the app. This allows for fresh data to be installed on your device and ensures you have the latest version of the app.
For iPhone/iPad devices, simply long-press the Messenger app icon on your home screen until the menu comes out. Select Remove App to delete the app. After which, restart your device. Once done, go to Apple App Store and download the Messenger app again.
For Android devices, open Google Play Store and search for Messenger. Once the app displays the preview page, tap Uninstall to remove Messenger from your phone. Restart the device once done. Reinstall Messenger once the device powers up by going to Google Play Store.
Download Messenger for Android
Download Messenger for iOS
4. Check Your Internet Connection
Oftentimes, we experience internet fluctuation or hiccups that may affect the way mobile apps, like Messenger, perform. When this happens, it pays to check your WiFi network and whether there is an internet connection. While on it, check your modem whether there are hardware issues that need fixing. You can turn off your modem and give it at least 15 seconds before powering it back on. Also, make sure you are not out of range of your Wi-Fi network.
If you are using mobile data and it’s not working , check whether you still have credits from your plan to be able to access the internet.
Also read: How to increase your internet speed
5. Enable Background App Refresh
Background app refresh is a feature available for both Android and iOS platforms. This feature allows any app to download new data and information in the background. Some are concerned that turning it on consumes more data than necessary but it does come with its merits. If you are encountering hiccups with Messenger, it might help to turn this feature on.
How to Enable Background App Refresh on Android
- Open the Settings app then click on Apps & Notifications.
- Tap Manage apps or See all apps.
- Select Messenger on the list.
- Next, tap on Mobile data & Wi-Fi or Data Usage depending on which is available.
- Make sure Background data is turned on.
How to Enable Background App Refresh on iPhone/iPad
- Open Settings then go to General.
- Select Background App Refresh. Make sure the option is enabled either by WiFi or Wi-Fi and Mobile Data.
- From the list of apps, make sure the feature is enabled for Messenger. You can also de-select apps from the list.
6. Turn Off DND/Focus Mode on iPhone and Android
The latest versions of the Android and iOS environments have a feature called Do Not Disturb . This allows users to temporarily mute notifications from apps while attending to other important things that need some focus.
How to Turn off DND/Focus Mode on iPhone
iOS devices let you switch to Do Not Disturb or Focus Mode. With this feature enabled, your apps will stay on mute, and you won’t get notifications until you switch this mode off. This will mute Messenger chat heads as well. Luckily, it’s incredibly easy to turn off DND or Focus Mode. On an iOS device:
- Access the control center by swiping up from the bottom of your screen or swiping down from the top-right corner.
- If the DND toggle is on (usually in blue), tap on it to turn it off.
How to Turn off DND on Android
Google has also added a version of Do Not Disturb on their Android 9 iteration that silences calls, messages, and banner notifications. If you are wondering why Messenger chat heads are not working on Android devices, this could be a result of DND Mode. To turn this off:
- Go to Settings, and tap on Notifications or Sounds & Vibration .
- Select Do not disturb .
- Then, tap on the toggle next to Do not disturb to turn it off.
Alternatively, you can summon your smart assistant to disable Do not disturb .
7. Enable Notifications from Settings
You might wonder why you are not getting notifications from Messenger all of a sudden and think something is wrong with the app. However, most times, it can be a result of some glitch wherein the notification for Messenger has been disabled. Fortunately, this is easy to fix.
- Go to Settings and view all apps.
- Select Messenger to view its app information.
- Under the Privacy menu, tap Notifications .
- Make sure Notifications are allowed and toggle Show Notifications on.
- Go to Settings then tap Notifications.
- First, make sure Show Previews is set to Always .
- Next, scroll down and tap on Messenger.
- Now make sure to toggle Allow Notifications on.
- Under Alerts, toggle on Sounds and Badges .
- Under Lock Screen Appearance, Show Previews must be set to Always.
8. Update Your Phone’s OS
On rare occasions, similar to the issue with Messenger for iOS when iOS 15 was launched, bugs on the OS would cause issues with some apps. In this case, previews of messages were not showing on Messenger. This only puts emphasis on the need to always check for available OS updates for both Android and iOS platforms as developers release them to fix bugs and offer support for your device.
For Android, simply go to Settings, select System, and then System Update. For iOS, open Settings, tap General, select Software Update. When an update is available, make sure to download and install it on your device.
9. Reset All Settings
We suggest this troubleshooting when the previous options did not do anything to solve the issue — which we doubt. But just in case they don’t, this might be the solution.
- Open the Settings app then scroll down to General Management.
- Scroll down and tap on Reset .
- Select Reset All Settings .
- Open the Settings interface then tap General.
- Scroll down and select Transfer or Reset iPhone/iPad.
- Next, select Reset then tap Reset All Settings .
Both options for Android and iOS will not result in the deletion of data. Rather, this will only restore all configurations you did to factory settings. Some of these settings might have caused Messenger not working and resetting these settings might put the app in working condition once again.
Also Read: How to Reset Network Settings on Android, iPhone & iPad OS
10. Log Out of Your Messenger Account on Every Device
Although it’s unlikely, there is a possibility that Messenger won’t properly work when you’ve logged in to several devices simultaneously. You might notice that you are not getting the notifications from Messenger as you should. In this case, they might have lost their way on the devices where your Messenger is logged in but you are not using. Logging out of your Messenger account from all devices may help fix this problem.
11. Check If Messenger Is Down
It’s supposed to be rare, but recently Messenger has been encountering system outages more often. This occurrence often trends on Twitter with the #messengerdown.
No, your wifi isn't out. We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible. #messengerdown — Messenger (@messenger) November 3, 2021
In case your Messenger app is not working, might as well go ahead and check Twitter if #messengerdown is trending. Next, try to check their Twitter page for updates. But you can also check down detector apps or websites to double-check whether your region is experiencing a system outage causing the app to not work temporarily.
One or two of these troubleshooting items will solve your issues with the Messenger app in no time. You might not use them all the time, but when the need arises, it’s good to know that Cellular News has outlined effective ways to fix the issue. But as we always emphasize, any mobile app is vulnerable to hiccups as a result of bugs or settings issues; it’s a common theme across the board. But we hope these troubleshooting items help you address some issues with your Messenger app.
Bookmark this article, share it with your friends, and let us know what you think!
- Buying Guides
- Hands On Siri Sibling Tempo Takes Smart Calendar To A Whole New Level
- Gooligan8217 Android Malware Affects 1 MillionPlus Accounts
Hands on: siri sibling tempo takes smart calendar to a whole new level, lg’s got some dual-screen smartphone trickery up its sleeve for ifa, at&t asks court to reverse net neutrality rules, xiaomi preparing to set records with 48-megapixel phone camera, iphone’s growth is slowing (apple provides more proof), lawsuit claims google tracks users even in incognito mode.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Facebook Messenger problems and solutions
For some time now, Facebook Messenger has been a standalone app, separate from the Facebook application. This has made it a more powerful messaging service capable of competing with its cousin, WhatsApp . Its independence also makes it hungry for battery and memory, however, and it now comes with its own set of concerns. Here's what to do when Facebook Messenger is not working on your Android phone.
- Check Facebook Messenger using a web browser
- Check Facebook Messenger Lite
- Facebook Messenger: Please check your internet connection error
- Unfortunately, Facebook Messenger has stopped error
- Cannot send or receive messages
- Retrieve deleted messages
Is Facebook Messenger down?
Before you start pulling your hair because Facebook Messenger isn't working, it would be a good idea to check if the issue is being caused due to an outage. It is not uncommon for Facebook services to go offline at times, and there have been several instances of this happening in the past.
One of the ways you can check for outages is to visit the Platform Status page for Facebook. This page usually lists ongoing outages. There are third-party services like IsItDown and Downhunter that can help you check the status of Facebook Messenger. If the issue is on Facebook's end, the only option is to wait or use an alternative messaging service .
Check the status of Facebook Messenger using a web browser
Before you start troubleshooting Facebook Messenger issues on your smartphone, it would be a good idea to check if you can access the service using a web browser.
Access Facebook Messenger via your browser:
- Simply open your web browser and go to https://www.messenger.com/ .
- Log in with your username and password.
- You should be able to access your messages within the Facebook website, old-school style.
Try Facebook Messenger Lite
Another way to go about this is to install a pared-down, less resource-intensive version of Facebook Messenger called Messenger Lite for Android devices. Some people actually prefer using Messenger Lite over its bloated cousin because it uses fewer resources (especially RAM and storage) and was generally thought to be less buggy.
- Get Messenger Lite from the Google Play Store.
- Download, open, and log in with your credentials.
- Enjoy messaging as usual, with a streamlined appearance and just the essential features.
Fix Facebook Messenger errors on Android
Let us now take a look at some of the more common errors that you may encounter with the Facebook Messenger app for Android smartphones.
Facebook Messenger: 'Please check your internet connection and try again' error
This is among the most common errors that you may come across while using Facebook Messenger on your Android phone. Many people have complained about an error message that says, "Please check your internet connection and try again" when trying to use Facebook Messenger. Please follow these steps to try and fix the issue.
- Open the Settings menu on your Android phone.
- Go to System and then tap on Date & time (the menu options may change depending on the Android skin your phone has).
- In the Date and time menu, ensure that the options Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically are selected.
- Once this is done, go back to the Settings menu.
- Open the Apps menu.
- Select All apps.
- Look for Messenger in the list of apps and tap the option that says Force stop .
- Once this is done, go back to the home screen and try opening Facebook Messenger again, and the issue should be fixed.
The steps for iPhone users are a bit simpler:
- Open the Settings app.
- Choose General .
- Tap Date & Time .
- Activate the Set Automatically option.
Fix the 'Unfortunately, Facebook Messenger has stopped' error
This is another (relatively) common issue that many people face with Facebook Messenger on Android. A possible fix for this issue can be achieved by taking the following steps:
- Open Settings .
- Select the Apps or Apps & notifications option.
- Tap See all Apps .
- In the app list, select Messenger .
- Select Storage & cache .
- On older Android versions, the Clear cache option will be shown on the previous screen.
If this doesn't solve your issue, it might be a good idea to uninstall and reinstall Facebook Messenger. But before you do that, open the Google Play Store on your phone and check if there is an update available for Facebook Messenger. If yes, install the update and check if the issue is resolved.
In fact, the same solution can be used for issues like the one described below. Although, we have suggested a slightly different method.
I can't send or receive messages on Facebook Messenger
If you're trying to send a sticker to your friend and Facebook Messenger is not delivering your vital correspondence, do not despair. Although the situation may seem desperate beyond all comprehension, the solution could well be simple. Ensure, firstly, that the app is up-to-date:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Select the Manage apps & device option.
- Tap Update all to update every installed application or See details to choose which ones to update.
For iPhone users, open the App Store app, tap your profile icon at the top of the screen, and then tap on the Update button next to the Messenger app.
Alternatively, you can update the Messenger app directly via the app stores pages:
- Update the Android Messenger app on the Google Play Store
- Update the iPhone Messenger app on the Apple App Store
- Update the Messenger Lite app on the Google Play Store
All (or some) of my messages have disappeared
If you've accidentally deleted your messages, which is not easily done, then you're out of luck; they're gone. But maybe you just archived them, in which case you are in luck. Open the Messenger app and follow these steps:
- Tap on your profile picture at the top of the screen.
- Choose Archived chats .
On the desktop site, click on the " ..." button at the top of the contact list and then select the Archived chats option.
Let us know in the comments if there are any Facebook Messenger problems you're struggling with, and we'll do our best to address them.
Comparison: The best foldable phones
- Learn more about each phone featured in the best foldable phones list
Rubens Eishima Writer
Having written about technology since 2008 for a number of websites in Brazil, Spain, Denmark, and Germany, I specialize in the mobile ecosystem, including various models, components, and apps. I tend to not only value performance and specifications, but also things like repairability, durability, and manufacturer support. I tend to prioritize the end-user's point of view whenever possible.
- Submit Cancel
Google told me to clear cache and data, but I lost my Facebook messenger. Can I get the same messenger back
I done everything it say to do I even removed messenger and reload messenger and still doesn't work please help
I have the same problem on my android phone. I've called Verizon & Samsung. I've read all the help screens. Uninstalled & Reinstalled twice. Still can't get on messenger.
There is no checkmarks in my messenger. Im using an iphone
I run a group and we use the @everyone tag for a while which was really helpful, now it is not working for some reason. Been trying to find out why but no answer to it. We are an Australian based group. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is this already fixed? Im having the same trouble
Only on my iPad I cannot go directly to the person I am try to message on fb. It takes me to messenger but then I have to type in the persons name.
Did you ever find a solution? I just got a new iPhone and this is happening to me
Just installed messenger on my Windows 11 laptop why can’t I see any messages that I receive
For too long now : MESSENGER is logging me out. 'ERROR VALIDATING ACCESS TOKEN....' Has Anyone Seen This? But it hasn't logged me out. I can't do a thing and that thing just keeps spinning n spinning!! H E L P ! ! ! ! 🙏
Sometimes the messages that newly comes are not bold black colour when I logging in messenger. Can be it read before me? Or it is the generally messenger false? If the first one assumption is correct, how can I solve it?
Messenger will not let me send anything other than a basic message. The second I click on the sticker button the app disconnects and I can no longer send even a message and the screen reads connecting. Nothing will load. I then have to clear cashe or clear all data and start from scratch.
You can try a clean install of the app, if that does not work either try downloading the Light version of messenger. I hope this helps.
I have un installed and re installed the app to many times to count unfortunately and still have the same issue. I have switched to messenger light for now but it just is not the same. I appreciate your response though. Thank you.
I tried this, but I'm only got a new messenger site. I want the messenger that Google made me delete
I have a Facebook page in english but when i go to settings its in German
That sounds weird. Are your browser settings maybe in German?
My facebook messenger is only searching Instagram accounts when i search nothing else will come up help please
This article was last updated in December 2021. Older comments have been retained. Enjoy it!
Messenger JOIN is always green in our Family chat room and if we click it,it does not work. But it is always green and we can't get rid of it or use it !! HELP